Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » The Things They Do » Potty Training!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Potty Training!
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is looking good. She finally gets the concept of it and usually tells us before she does go. There is times where she plays to hard and forgets, but otherwise she has it down. Yah! No more diapers....
Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great when there isn't anymore diapers and have to remember to change every two hours. I alway thought that was a chore and it was nice when they finally didn't like having wet diapers. Victoria, she potty trained herself. That was the best.
Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we were doing good until today. We went to Best Buy to look at appliances and we had her go before we left and when we got there. Mid way into looking at refrigerators she did a number 2 so I took her and cleaned her up put a new underware on then go back out to continue looking at appliances. Two minutes later she did a number 1. So we put her in a diaper! Urrrrrr We have decided though that taking a sippy cup along isn't the best idea, because she is drinking too much for her to make it to the bathroom. She'll get it sooner or later.
Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have accidents every so often until they're around 3-4 years old. Our children even now will have an accident, especially if they wait too long. HA! HA! But now they take care of cleaning up. She'll get it just be patient with her. Good luck though! It isn't too fun.
Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will take time. I think we are going to kind of relax with it for now. Since we will be moving soon. It will be stressful on her as well as her mother. We are going to start packing now to make thing easier on everyone.
Posts: 1139 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We aren't relaxing on it, but we are letting her go at her own pace. We still make her go to the potty every 1/2 to and hour to have her go potty. If either of us are aware when she tries to go hide and do her big job we take her to the bathroom to do it. When we give her the timer and tell her she has to set there until it is rings then she can get off. There have been times where we have to remind her she has to sit there until it rings, but it does seem to help. I believe that it won't be long and she will completely get it.

With the move and soon to be new daycare that she might regress a little. Changes are harder on children than we realize. The good thing is that they do bounce back to normal.

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that we have Maria potty trained completely. The only thing is during her naps and night she still has to wear a diaper, because she sleeps so hard.

The whole weekend she didn't have one accident and it was she who reminded us that she had to go. So that is great progress we think.

YAH NO MORE DIAPERS

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria has been having problems at daycare around nap time going BM in her pants. Linda has put her on the toilet twice before going down for a nap and still she goes in her pants.

We've all, Linda, Eric and I, have talked to her many times about getting up from a nap to go to the bathroom that it is ok to do that. I've talked to her when I've picked her up until we get home, then Eric and I off & on all evening we will bring the subject back up, when she does it at Daycare Linda makes her help clean it up because we think it would sink in more, but still she goes.

Now is it time to punish her or will this to pass?

--------------------
Sheryl

Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would feel to think that there's something causing her to do it for whatever reason. Of course I'm the kind that thinks of the worse.
If she doesn't do at home,why at the babysitters? If it would work out to stop in unexpected at nap time who knows what you might see. Instead of punishing ask her questions like what happens when she goes down for a nap. Who puts you down for a nap etc. Good luck.
P.s How long after she lays down,does it happens? If these people have a problem with you stopping in unexpectly(without them knowing)I again would think of the worse.
Think of other questions to ask Maria. It she doesn't really say much then ask the question-Is there something that you're not to tell me? I hope that I'm not scaring yous but I would keep my eyes and ears open.

[ March 22, 2001: Message fixed by: we5andjj ]

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not concern as to what is going on at day care, because Linda is a wonderful loving person. I have gone unexpectedly to her house many times and found nothing alarming or out of the ordinary.

Linda, Eric and I have discussed many reasons why she would be doing this.

1. She isn't sitting long enough on the toilet to let her body do it's job.

2. When she came to the day care she adjusted very well and this just might be a delayed adjustment.

3. Sleeping to hard that she doesn't know she is going potty.

Plan of action.....we are giving her a sticker for everyday that she comes home without going to the bathroom. Then when she doesn't do it anymore she will get a big treat.

It has worked the past two days. She has gone before she went down for a nap and gets up dry & clean. So far it has worked and when it back fires we will have to take another action.

Thanks though for your concern and thoughts. Parenting is a big and important job so every suggestion or concern is welcomed.

--------------------
Sheryl

Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the hardest subjects in raising kids. I would say that 8 out of 10 kids have some type of problem like Maria is having and there is really nothing wrong. I would quess like you said she just isn't sitting there long enough to finish and when she relaxs it comes out. As long as it isn't diaherra or extremly hard I wouldn't worry about it being a medical problem. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Reward and not punish.

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

That's a good reward system you have for Maria, she'll response in a more positive when you deal with it that way. Punishing will only have a neg. reaction. Great thinking Mom and Dad!
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

She has responded very well to it all. She has gone three days already with clean pants all day long. She sits longer on the toilet now and understands that she has to listen to her body. She thrives on the reward system.

Thanks everyone for the support and many suggestions.

--------------------
Sheryl

Tammy
Member # 14

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tammy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear Maria is back on track again. They have little slip ups from time to time, that's natural I think. Sounds like you handled this situation perfectly, it worked for Maria. Good Job, Parents!

Does she have a sticker book she puts all her stickers in? I've seen them at Toys R Us & I think Michael's. Some kids like to use the books, others prefer to put their sticker on something else.

I was just at Toys R Us about a week ago & noticed they had quite a few different varieties of stickers on sale or clearance. I buy them to put on the kid's cards & also for Kailey.

Posts: 108 | From: Blaine, MN, USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

She has gone a whole week and noaccidents! It is working!

--------------------
Sheryl

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: