Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » The Things They Do » Maria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maria
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric will have to tell you about his day off on Thursday because the furnace people were coming. Maria got to stay home with him. Eric please share with everyone about your conversation in the car with Maria.

I was telling people at work about Maria. I think it is just great that she can get in touch with her feelings and express them. Many grown up have trouble expressing their feelings because they don't even know what they are.

I am one person who doesn't do this but I really feel that if a person figures out their feelings and than talks about them it does help. Like if you are down in the dumb, dig deep within yourself and figure out what is really making you sad. Sometimes when we are down we end up getting into an argument with some one over something that would not have even bothered you if you weren't down in the first place. So whether you are sad, angry, happy or whatever, try to look at why you got there and express it.

Maria does this all the time. I think we could learn from her. If she is happy, she can usually tell you why she is happy. If she is sad, I know Sheryl has asked her Why are you sad, and she usually can tell her or Eric why she is sad. I know she doesn't understand this now but I sure hope she contiues this all her life.

I really got into this only because I want Eric to share with you something that Maria said on thursday. (In touch with her feelings)

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well said! That is so true about your feelings and if you dig deep you can usually find out why you're having those feelings.

I, acutally, had tears reading what you said about Maria. We've tried really hard to let Maria express her feelings and tell her that it is ok to feel that way. I didn't realize how much she really does until you wrote about them. This makes us feel good about parenting and that others can see what we have been trying to do.

Don't get us wrong Maria does have her days and sometimes I let my patience run short so therefore have days where I get short with Maria. I then feel really bad for how I treated her and she doesn't have a problem with telling me that I did hurt her feelings. Usually if I don't appologize to her immediately I'll reminder her of the time then tell her that I am sorry and that wasn't nice of mommy. I said that to her once and she said that then I couldn't have a treat that day...

Linda...daycare mom...has helped her a lot on this to so we can't take full credit for it all.

Yeah...Eric you'll have to share with everyone the day you had with Maria.

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was talking to the girls at work about Maria getting in touch with her feelings and being able to express them, they asked me what you had done to teach her this. I really couldn't tell them.

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well sometimes we let her be and let her work it out herself by walking away letting her deal with it then going back and asking her why she felt the way she was. Sometimes I hug her until she settles down and can tell us what is wrong.

We never scolled her for her feelings and I think that is the hardest thing to do but the most important thing. That way they aren't afraid that they will get in trouble for it. When someone tells you that it is wrong to feel the way they are or that it is stupid...then that is how they start to feel. We have feelings and there is a reason for them no matter why, it isn't wrong or stupid.

Linda has helped me by giving me advice when I've asked how to handle times when I feel I didn't know what to do.

It is true when they say, "it takes a community to raise a child."

--------------------
Sheryl

Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Maria and I had a fun but lazy day. Our day started at 8am.. We got up... watched a little tv, colored, and then started breakfast.

I decided to have the blue berry waffles and bacon that morning. I gave Maria one and I took one. She thought they looked pretty cool. Then on the LITE syrup bottle she noticed in the corner that there was a strawberry. She was really excited that she was having Strawberry Syrup on her Blue berry waffle Of course she wasn't... and even if I would have said something we would have gone back and forth about it being or not being strawberry.. so I didn't say a thing.

I threw down 2 more for myself and then stacked the 2 on top of each other. Maria looked over and instantly wanted to have another one to do that. So I told her if she ate all of her waffle she could have another and we would do that. She proceeded to chow that waffle down and drink a half a glass of OJ. I asked her if she wanted more... "YEAH" was the response I got. I cut it in half and then stacked the halfs and she thought it was great.

After that we headed out to Target to get some supplies. We found the Xmas shirts at 75% off so like last year I picked some up. 3 for Maria and 2 for Sheryl. L for sheryl so that it can be used as a night shirt ans XS (kids) for Maria. Maria's will be big but we tend to use the as shirts under sweatshirts, sweaters, etc.. during the winter and by summer they will be the right size

At about 12:30 the furnace guy came. I don't think she even looked at him. We even moved the couch she was sitting on at one point but I don't think she paid any attention to us.

After leftovers for lunch (Shepard's Pie, click for recipe) we headed back to Target to exchange the L shirts for XL, I wasn't thinking.

We then headed over to Best Buy to look at some computer things.. (which I got a part for the internet connection so that we can have multiple computers hooked up and the cable connection) Of course we had to visit the Pet Ranch while we were there. We love looking at the puppies there

On the way home, she kept this big smile on her face... I told her to wipe it off...but she couldn't. I aske her if she was happy.. "YEAH" are you sad? "NO, I'm Happy" Why are you so happy? "Because I got to stay at home today"

So without a nap we sent her to bed at 7:00pm. It was great to see that she had a fun day! It made mine knowing that she had fun too, because I had fun with her also.

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was cute. But it took you long enough to get it posted. You kept us all in suspence till you told us about your day.
I'm so glad that Maria has such a happy home life. That is what I feel is so important for children to have today and so few get it. It is special and unusual for children her age to be able to express their feelings and I'm so glad that she can. And Sheryl and Eric I can see that you are very special parents. I wish I could have been that smart when I was raising my kids only I had to many to close together to have time to think the way you guys do.
Thanks for sharing all with us though.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

I will have to disagree with you on that mom. The only way we know to raise our children the way we do is from example and try to do it just a little bit better. When Maria has children she'll do even a better job then we. You did the best you knew how and I appreciate even that. There isn't any manual that comes with children so it is trial and error.

Mom, thank you for making us such good people.

--------------------
Sheryl

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: