Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » Are ya Hungry? » A new way of looking at eating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new way of looking at eating
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't live to eat, but eat to live

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so true but it is easy to switch that around when you are going to make a favorite dish. [Razz] [Cry Smiley]

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust me I understand what your saying!!! Why did they have to create such good food. I guess then if we eat too much that we have to get out and walk it off.

--------------------
Sheryl

Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walking is always good!

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, gang - I came across your topic this evening and thought I would add my two cents and provide some perspective. [Smile]

Eating right and losing weight is a matter of simple arithmetic. You need to burn more calories than you consume. If you can do that, then you will lose weight.

So how do you do that?

It won't happen by casually trying to watch what you eat here and there. You have to make a plan and do the things necessary to enable yourself to succeed. What does that mean? It means making a list of sensible items and going to the grocery store. Fresh fruits, organic salads, lean meats, vegetables - sounds fun, huh! Plan your meals so you aren't stuck eating fast food because you weren't prepared. There is a ton more I could go into here (and I can later if you want me to), but the gist of it is you have to give yourself a chance to eat right. Have a favorite dish? A snack? A little indulgent? Fine - no problem, but not every day/night.

Exercise? Yep, it's a big part of it. Walking only? Won't cut it. Don't fool yourself. You need to get your heart rate in the fat burn zone for 20-30 minutes three times a week. What that translates to is this: it usually takes 7-10 minutes to get your heart rate up, so you're talking 30-40 of activity time. Each person has a different fat burning zone - most gyms, YMCA's, trainers, etc. can help direct you or refer you to a resource.

Your body WANTS to move, it's your brain that prevents it! Don't think, just do it!

I used to be 265 pounds, fat, out of shape, 42" waist and unhappy. Now? I weigh 200 pounds, lean muscle and strong, 34" waist with more energy than I know what to do with! It's a lifestyle commitment, nothing more or less. Eating macaroni hotdish and brownie deserts will not get you to where you want to be. Be honest with yourself, decide where you want to be, make a plan, stick with it, and DO IT! It's not easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

Posts: 68  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Thanks for that thoughts John. What you are saying is so true. It is a matter of just doing and not thinking about it. I want to make the changes. I use to be the kind that did make a plan so that we didn't get into the fast food habit. We got off track because I stopped doing that.

It is worth it to me so I'll be making some changes very soon!!! TODAY!!

--------------------
Sheryl

John
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take your time, make a plan that is feasible for you and your family - if it's too drastic, it won't work. You'll stress yourself out (trust me). It's a gradual thing as lifestyle changes usually are. And give the changes time - if you alter your diet and add activity, don't expect to see changes for weeks. Just take comfort in knowing you are headed in the right direction and the results will come.

Good luck!!!

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

What would you suggest doing first? I would like to make a change for all of us to be an example to the kids and to include my husband not just myself.

--------------------
Sheryl

Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That has been my point. Sheryl wants to change things by tossing everyting bad into the trash.

I've told her to change things as the bad stuff leaves the cabinet or fridge. So it isn't such a shock to our habits and system.

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John
Member # 5

Well, when you make a lifestyle change, it has to be gradual...sort of like going from crawling to walking, it doesn't happen overnight. As a couple, I would sit down together and make some honest goals. What do you want for you? For your spouse? For your family? Once you decide what you want, then the next step will be "How do we get there?"

I can tell you from experience that you need to make realistic goals. Here's an example: I wanted to lean down for the summer and achieve a weight of 200 pounds. I had been sitting at 210-212 for a couple of years and felt good where I was at, but wanted to see if I could achieve it. Four months out from summer (to me, summer being June), I made an eating and exercise plan, knowing that fat burning takes weeks to initiate and wanted to give myself extra time). I made a commitment to myself to eat plain Quaker Oats oatmeal for breakfast (no added sugar or honey, etc.), organic salads and lean meats for lunch, peanuts for a snack in-between, hit the gym hard after work 4-5 days a week, and a light dinner (usually some lean turkey slices and a vegetable), never eating after 8:00 p.m.

I would start introducing lower calorie alternatives into your daily routine. Don't buy potato chips or Dorito-type things for snacks - instead buy granola bars, nuts, organic tortilla chips with salsa. You'd be amazed at the calorie difference over a given time period, it tastes good too!

Make sensible choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You should consume the most calories (especially carbohydrates) early in the day to give you energy. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber and carbs, in addition a banana or orange. For me, I eat a banana during the drive to work and have oatmeal once I get there (7:00 a.m.).

I'll have a snack of nuts around 9:00 and have lunch around 11:30 - typically an organic salad with some turkey. Around 2:30 I'll have some more nuts or some yogurt, go to the gym around 4:30 p.m., get home around 7:00 p.m. and have some turkey slices with some veggies.

This is just an example of my typical day to get you started thinking of a plan - keep in mind that I live alone and do not have a family to consider (yet - ha).

The hard part is ahead of you - getting started and finding your BALANCE (which is the key). Once you make progress, you will find yourself in a mode of maintenance, which is easier since you've established a behavior or healthier eating and activity.

I can add more information about exercise later - this is my passion. Years ago when I was overweight and Eric lived with me, I hated the idea of working out. Ick! Now? I can't live without it. I NEED it, period. You will get there!!!

You have to WANT it! Make the goal, put the tools into place, and achieve it! It will take strong will and support from the both of you to each other, but well worth it! Then, when you get your new clothes and stylish haircuts, we'll put you on TV or something!

[Smile]

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

A lot of good advise!! Like you said it has to be something you really want to do.

Thanks again!!

--------------------
Sheryl

Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John,
Boy I have a million of questions for you but will have to wait when I have more time.

One of the first things I thought about is did you cut out things totally, like bread?

I assume you are talking about instant oatmeal, I thought that was bad for calories etc.

What about like a hamburger made in my George Forman grill?

Did you eat any vegetable you liked or were you careful there also with what you ate? (frozen or canned)

Thanks for the help John.

Eric's mom, Vonnie

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John
Member # 5

Hi, Vonnie

I guess it's easier to think of it as modifying your behavior versus cutting anything out. Bread is fine to eat, just not all the time. It's the same with anything else - everything in moderation.

Here's an example: when I make myself a sandwich, I will only use one piece of bread versus two. I will either eat it open-face style or I'll fold it over. It's the same amount of meat, cheese, lettuce, etc., but half the bread. It's the little changes that make a big difference in the long run - before you know it, you'll have developed new behaviors when it comes to eating.

Oatmeal - you're right, the instant stuff is not good for you. The Oatmeal I eat comes in a big tube and it's called "Quick Oats" by Cub Foods. Each serving has 150 calories, 3g fat, 27 g carbohydrates, less than 1g sugar, 5g protein. This is a GREAT way to start your day - the carbs give you energy without a bunch of sugar!

Hamburger - I'm a big fan! [Smile] Just make sure you are choosing the leanest meat available. The George Foreman grill is GREAT - I used mine until I broke the dang thing. Over time, try to incorporate more white meats verses red meats - chicken, turkey, and fish - they're better for you. I used to cook chicken breasts in my George Forman grill in the evening and then bring them to work for lunch the next day - seasoned with an assortment of spices, etc. There's a lot you can do with that grill - love it - I need to get another one!

I haven't been a big veggie fan, but am learning to incorporate more. My girlfriend has really opened my eyes to vegetables and we mix them in organic salads (not the iceberg stuff) - things like red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Fresh broccoli is so easy to make - just toss some in a container with a little bit of water - microwave for a minute - then you have steamed broccoli. If veggies are a challenge, I really recommend getting broccoli and tomatoes in your diet - they are so good for you!

In reference to bagged/frozen versus canned vegetables, I would always go with bagged/frozen. Most things that come in a can have high sodium. An example: one small individual-sized can of Del Monte green beans has 390 mg of sodium. Or even soup, Progresso Chicken Noodle has 950 mg of sodium per serving. So, as a general rule of thumb, always go for frozen or fresh versus anything in a can.

Here's one other little tidbit related to food, but a slightly different topic. A few months ago my dad was diagnosed with Diabetes - a result from diet, weight, and inactivity. My dad is a determined person and he decided immediately that he would address his condition with diet and exercise verses medication. Just by modifying his diet and getting more activity, he's lost over 40 pounds and has his Diabetes under complete control without medication. He still has a hamburger and beer from time to time, but his lifestyle is more balanced now and it definitely shows!

Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Thanks John, you have been and will be a good help for us who should or have to lose weight. I am glad you have dropped back into our lives. You have a good head on your shoulders.

As you know I have to lose some weight. I have 15 - 20 pounds I have lost and than gained many times in the last few months. [Cry Smiley]

With this kind of help you a giving us maybe we can all do it this time. Lets get going gang and try what John is telling us. We all knew this before but we have to hear it from some one that it has really worked for. Plus John does have good pointers for us. [Big Grin]

Thank John, keep us going

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: