Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » The trouble in Willmar :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The trouble in Willmar :(
Lynn
Member # 8

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Lynn           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I would share with you a few things that are going on in Willmar right now, primarily with the School. The referendum vote was turned down and listed below are some of the outcomes that have me very upset.
these things all take place in september of 2001.

1. All foreign languages in the Jr.High are all being cut. German is also being cut in the High School.

2. Dana has been in Diving and Swimming for the last 2 years, the cost has been $10 a year plus cost of suit etc.. next year the cost to me is $150.00 makes me very angry

3. you now have to pay $30 for non-athletic events such as debate club, knowledge bowl, stuff like that , that used to be free.

4. in the senior high they are cutting teachers in classes such as art, shop classes, photography, horticulture..etc...

5. Dana is taking softball right now for a spring sport. Because of the weather they have to practice inside and there is not enough room or any money to transport them to another school to practice, so they cut practice from 5 days a week to 2. also they are cutting out all AWAY games and talking about just going intermeral...so so sad

and then just in case anybody didnt see the news last week. A 6th grade teacher was doing blood sugar tests on his students and allowed 20 kids to share 2 needles what a sad day in Willmar. all the kids have been taken in for testing. They are being tested for Hepatitis A and B, and HIV, which these tests will have to be repeated over and over for the next coming months. the teacher is still teahing until they can decide what to do with him.

also orchestra looks like the next thing to be going and dana's choir teacher started crying the other day when he told the class he lost his job such a sad time right now. for the size of Willmar this is ridiculous and how do they measure whats more important than other things. Everything is different for each child. anyway that is the scoop here. Tomorrow the list comes out for the Jr.Highs exact teacher cuts. They also let counselors go, The Jr High now will have 1.5 guidance counselors and the Sr high 2.5 . another sad situation.
time to leave Willmar. been here long enough anyway...lol
bye bye

--------------------
~~~Lynn~~~

Posts: 79 | From: New London, MN 56201  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing and I'm sad to hear this. What is more important? It doesn't sound like the kids aren't a very important priority there in Willmar.

Come to the cities! Don't know if it is any better, but it has to be better than that.

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very sorry to hear this too but I'm afraid that that isn't much different than all the schools in Minn. Venture is making everyone cut back because he thinks there is alot of unnecessary money spent where it isn't necessary. The only thing is that no one knows anything about prioties. And they cut where the kids hurt and then they think they will get the public to fight back for what they want.

My daugther-in-law says that it cost them $2000 to send their daugther to school for a year. Why does the state have to pay $6000 a year for a child. Something is wrong here some place. I feel Venture is right that there is spending where it doesn't need to be. We were talking about it a my uncles funeral and there was some there who knew where there is $$ spent where it could be cut but not where the kids suffer. Where the working parents will suffer. I fear for the future. I think its going to get bad every where. And the teaching quality is going to go down too. Need to prepare.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is because schools spend money like there is no tommorrow. They need to start being held accountable for what they do. If a school isn't making it...CLOSE IT. If a school is doing well...REWARD THEM

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paper just anounced that 75 teachers out of 1000 have no more jobs. All extra activitie teachers are out. Music, band, art, and phy ED teachers and language too. Now if parents want their children to have any of these will have to hire and pay the teacher them selves. Which in a way isn't so bad. Actually teachers could maybe earn more that way. And if all the parents got together and paid it shouldn't cost so much.

We also have just learned that there is now 85,806 people living in Rochester. Wonder how many Mpls and St Paul separated would have? Were almost a city. Or we are.

We have more priviate schools than public schools. All paid for by their parents. But it cost more here that for Sue and Jeff. I was talking to one of the parents and she said that they pay $5000. But if its a church school its cheaper because the church pays some of it. If you go to it.

World is changing.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minneapolis' population grew to 382,618. St. Paul's population grew to 287,151.

--------------------
Sheryl

Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Stacy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That stinks!!!

Kids deserve so much more and teachers would like to do that but no money!

Government should stay out of it and give the school the tax money we pay and let the parents and kids decide what they should do with it!!

Posts: 417 | From: Mpls  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana rae
Member # 12

Icon 13 posted      Profile for dana rae           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really mad. I dont think that is fair about hte whole only 2days a weak for softball!?!? I knew that we would not be able to go anywhere for games but..ahh. And I hope i can still be in swimming, it really means the world to me and i love it. I was scared before because this girl i know says the work out is really hard and i hope if i still can be in it i can do the work out because I CANT QUIT. This sux. O yeah..about my choir teacher- last year was his 1st year and he started out so jumpy and grumpy( hey I'm a poet and I didnt even know it..hehe)and nobody liked him at all. Butnow i swear he is the best, funest, and whatever but he is my fav. teacher. Now he is planning on moving to where he came from-Idiho(???)I feal bad for him, and the kids that will be in jr. high next year. They get to have the wonderful Mrs. Evenson. She's nice and all but she couldnt play piono if her life depended on it, and she is just not very good choir teacher at all.
Also in the jr. high they have a system call teams. There are 6 teams-3 for 7th grade, 3 for eighth. in each team you have 4 teachers. One for each core class(math,social,science,& communications). Once a week they get together and talk about the student, projects, etc...This is really good for both students and teachers becouse then they can focas on what they nead to do and they can help us with what we nead to be helped with, they also can work on projects within the team. Like right now I just got done w/ a project about the Great Depression. We worked on that project in every class. That helped me get more done and helped me learn more.
This cutting thing is going to effect the students terribly!

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~!*Dana Rae*!~

Posts: 91 | From: willmar  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

I hope that it will get better for you Dana, because this is the most important part of your life. School is the essential to greater success later in life. Make the best of what you have and lets pray that it improves. Maybe, the higher ups will see the effects the changes they made and go back to how it was or improve it even more.

--------------------
Sheryl

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: