Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » RE: Definition of Smelling the Roses.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RE: Definition of Smelling the Roses.
Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know what every one thinks smelling the roses means to them. How do you smell roses. When every one I know has posted I'll then tell mine. I will be checking tonight to see how many have posted. Have a great day. I know I am going to.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking the time to slow down to enjoy what is around yourself.....family, friends, resting, and taking time for yourself. When you can slow down to smell them then you are getting the meaning of life.

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the samething. Taking time to enjoy life for what it brings us-like our children and husband. Why? What do you think it mean. It better not be dirty!

What are you doing on the computer before going to church? And the question your asking is"what am I doing on so late?" Well,it's the only time I can,with everyone else hogging it!

I'll be waiting to hear your meaning of smelling the roses!!

[ December 09, 2001: Message fixed by: we5andjj ]

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It means to take time to stop doing so much in your life and take time to spend time with those that you love such as your family and to enjoy the little things in life.

Did I get it right?

Posts: 417 | From: Mpls  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take time to smell the flowers.
We often hear that phrase,
but we are busy with our lives,
and go right on our way
We have to work, the house needs
cleaned, there is so much work to do.
We have not even time to stop and think,
what else can we possibly do?

And as the years go flying by,
and we are old and gray,
we stop and think-- why didn't I
ever take the time to play?

So stop and think, my precious friend
before you rush away..don't you
think that you are worth the time
to stop and play??

Take time to smell the flowers
just a little every day
Enjoy your life and all that is in it
before you rush away

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well put! That poem is sooooo appropriate! Didn't think of putting that there so Thank you Stacy for refreshing our memory with it.

--------------------
Sheryl

Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we all agree on the definition of smelling the roses and I feel I do just that. I feel I smell the roses every day because I enjoy what I do. During the week I enjoy doing things for people who need the help and appreciate it so much that they even tell me they love me.(And that isn't just Emilie and Brice). I do things for young mothers, middle age mothers and older mothers. And they are all my friends.

I then spend time on weekends with friends and long weekends and holidays and vacation time with mediate family.

I even get in time for myself almost every day walking with Bock and friends. I read while waiting for the kids and at night time before I go to bed.

I write letters to friends and loved ones who do not have computers and email to those who do have computers.

The reason for this question of the meaning of smelling the roses was because I get the feeling from some of you that you don't think I take time to smell the roses. And I wanted you to know that I am smelling roses all the time in every thing that I do. Naturally I'm busy. But smelling roses keeps a person busy. And I feel the daytime is for doing what you can while you can to make the most of your time. And then evening is for resting, reading and writing letters.

Of course, there are many things that I don't get to do that I would like to do only there just isn't enough time in a day to get it all in. There are alot of friends that I have made in the last 30yrs that I would like to take time to go see. Only if I did that there wouldn't be time for my family. Which does come first in my book of life.

And so thats what I think smelling the roses means. Hope you all have as much fun smelling the roses as I do. And that you will put forth the effort to enjoy your time while here on earth.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

I know your enjoying doing what you are doing spending time with 100's of your friends but the phrase of "Smelling the roses" is stopping longer then a few seconds to smell them.

I'm glad that you enjoy doing all those things for everyone but you make me tired listening to all that you do! But have you taken the time to just sit for about a 1/2 a day and drink tea and talk, stop and play a game, get out your needles and make an afgan, kick up your feet and sit to listen to someone's cares or just reminice about old times or just talk about nothing? That's smelling the roses". Not "I'm here but I need to do this and that while I'm here" that's not "smelling the roses" that's just "seeing the roses".

I'm not cutting you down about what you do but I feel "smelling the roses" is not cramming to many people in your life and not really enjoying that person.

Hopefully I didn't make you upset by what I said but they were just my thoughts. I want to spend "Quality time" with my family and friends.

Enjoy your time!

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

I have to agree with Stacy. It is quality of time spent smelling the roses...not quantity of time that you spend smelling the roses.

Mom, we are only saying this because we want some of that quality time with you before it is too late. It isn't the quantity of times that you come see us. We would like those good memories of laughter, talking, crying, etc when the time comes you are gone to look back at and have good feelings about.

--------------------
Sheryl

Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Mom, I hope your not upset about the postings. But I do appreciate that you enjoy doing things for others just wish you would slow down a little before it's to late to really leave an lasting impression on us and your grandchildren.

I remember times when we went to see Grandma and she wanted us to meet her neighbors and we went to have dessert and visited with them. And there were times when we just walked all over town not for any particular reason just to see the town and then we'd run into her friends and talk for a little while. That's the kind of "smelling the roses" that I want. It's something that I will remember for years to come. I'm hoping to spend more time going to visit people this year and just go there to enjoy time with them before it's to late.

Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say and not take it the wrong way. I'm not trying to make hard feelings. I just want to be able to do things together and enjoy each other for who we are not what we think we should have to be.

Hope your having a good day!

Love you,

Stacy

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: