Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » Nice supervisor....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nice supervisor....
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started working at UMP with the flexiblity to make up time if I needed to take the kids to a doctor appointment, for myself to go to the doctor or any other family thing I might have had to attend. It wasn't often, but it is something that can't be avoided if you have a family. At the beginning of the year they added a incentive program of "Perfect attandence." these are some of the rules to qualify:

7 day notice of time off
No tardiness
No unscheduled time

My supervisor decided that would be the rule at all time whether or not you qualified for the incentive program. All other supervisors weren't doing that. Her is what our supervisor emailed us...

1-14-05 I am sending an email to Ann P. in regard to the making up of time. Some of you do not agree with my understanding of the incentive and I want to make sure all of the Managers/Supervisors are informing their Teams the same.

Your thinking is that if you put a request in 7 days in advance that you could make up time during that week. My understanding is that for 3 months there would be no make up time even if requested 7 days in advance. I prefer my way, but will leave this totally up to Ann Peterson.
If she agrees with you, that's what we will do.

My reasoning behind the No Make Up Time, is that it is very hard to keep track of everyone wanting to make up time, what days, when, what times. It does become an issue for me. It is used way to much and many establishments do not allow it for just that reason. If the 7 days in advance is approved by Ann, I will change my way of thinking. But if I see it becoming an issue, I will stop approving it.

Thanks....Sharon

1-19-05 I did receive emails back from the Supervisors and Ann Peterson on if make up time should be an option. It does sound like everyone is interpreting the Program differently. The bottom line is any time off, make up and sick time that would need a Doctor note to return to work, is at the discretion of the Supervisor.
So, I have made a decision for our Team and it is, any time off needs to be requested 7 days in advance. If any or all of this time wants to be made up, it will need to be discussed with me as to days and times when the request is submitted. If you need to take off for a Doctor appointment and you can not put in the request seven days in advance, you will need to talk with me about any make up time and I will decide at that time if it can be made up. There will be no other make up time, unless it has been discussed with me and I have okayed it. If you come in late and it has not been approved or you need to leave early and it has not been previously approved, DO NOT stay late, or make up the time, you will need to use UFTO. You should work your regular approved hours. This is Minnesota so any tardiness due to weather will be discussed as it happens.
If you have questions, please come see me. Thanks....Sharon

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow keep us posted on how this goes. I don't understand it all but it does sound confusing. I can see why people are interpreting it different.

So you will have to tell Maria and Hayden to let you know 7 days in advance when they are going to be sick. Get real. No one knows these things.

If she is going to decide at the time when people ask to make up time, this may become a bad thing that maybe people she doesn't like as well will never get a yes from her.

Oh well, let us know how it comes out. Good Luck

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
korgecl
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for korgecl           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would she let you work some "make-up hours" ahead so you had some "in the bank" for unforseen situations? We have some flexibility here too but some people abuse the system. The one lady who seems to come late, leave early always has "time to take back." Strange how that works for some people.
Posts: 53 | From: Green Bay office  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don`t see what the problem is I being a supervisor/dept manager , the only issue would be is if your a manufacturing plant and need people to run on a assembly line. I can also see the concern there might be if it was happing 3-4 days out of the week that you were late or problems and then staying late. Sounds to me she/he is on a power trip. Oh what happened to the one company policy act shouldn`t ALL employees be treated equal? I know at our company they are office, factory ,sups, managers, lead people all equal, no one special.

This was written by Jeff

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finding out from other supervisors that she is the only one that is having a problem with people making up their time.

Her issue is that she feels that she can't keep track of 12 people and their comes & goings. My thought is then you shouldn't be doing the job. Not all 12 of us is going to be having the same thing going on in our lives at the same time.

The other supervisors don't have a problem with it why should she? Those that make up the time are getting their work done and making her look good. What supervisor wouldn't want that?? [Roll Eyes]

The other rules of giving 7 day notice and such are part of a incentive program that is only for those that want to have their name put into a hat for a $50 gift certificate.

She has modified her rules to the way she wants them and unfortunately she is losing all the respect that she had from us and will probably lose those of us that are her good workers because we won't put up with that. Our manager has given them that ability to do that so Sharon takes all advantage of it.

The other supervisors are not happy with her decision and have told her.

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: