Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » Traveling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Traveling
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Boston this week on business. I forget how it is to drive out here in Boston. The rental car I got is the Chevy HHR, which is like a PT Cruiser. So I'm driving on unknown streets...Hunched over my steering wheel trying to pay attention to the road and lights.

Why am I hunched over my wheel you ask..? If you are 6 foot and driving the HHR you would know. The windows are small so when I come up to an intersection I can't see a thing.

Here in the Boston area your traffic light is above you on your side of the intersection.... not on the far side as most of us are use to. Plus, most of the roads you can't turn left on them. You have to turn right, but not a 90 degree right turn...more of a 45 degree turn... then you turn left to go through the intersection.... then right on the other side to go left.... if you are trying to do a u turn at the same intersection.... that would be right, left, left, right...making a circle.

So I was tired after trying to get around last night to find food. After a good hour I came back to the hotel and ordered room service. That won't be happening again.

My training site is very close and surprisingly I know this area. It is only a few miles away from where I stayed 5 years ago. I was funny driving down the road and thinking, this all looks familiar. I even went to the same Target store to get snacks.

Hayden called me as I walked into the store and thought it was amazing that I was in Boston...and going into Target LOL. He doesn't understand that they are everywhere [Smile]

Basically they have the same stores here now too... Best Buy and Target have started to come in over the past few years. I'm staying across from a really big mall. So I think I will check that out tonight. They have a Cheese Factory there and I've never eaten there, besides I need to get presents for the family.

Being by myself I get chicken to drive into Boston or other areas. I might try the subway for the first time. My flight on Saturday doesn't leave until like 4pm. So I thought I could maybe store my luggage in a locker at the airport and then take the rail/subway into downtown Boston during the morning/afternoon hours. We will see

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
korgecl
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for korgecl           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember driving in Boston. It was my first experience with round-abouts. I think we went back and forth across the bridge to Cambridge three times trying to get off the roundabout at the right time.
I remember going to an oyster house down by the river in the downtown area. I did not eat raw oysters. It made me realize how little I knew about the food habits in other parts of the country. Now all of that stuff is all over but in 1970, we had not had as much exposure.
We also went to Salem, Mass where the famed witch trials were held. Interesting stop. Try some seafood when you are there. Lobster is much more reasonable that here.

My rule when I travel is not to eat at any franchise restaurant that is available at home. In some southern cities, we ended up going to Walmart for some other kinds of shopping because it was the only choice. I do not shop at Walmart ever if there is something else available.

I need a vacation and am glad someone is able to experience some new environs. Have fun.

Posts: 53 | From: Green Bay office  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: