Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » Parenting » Expecting... » Trying to break a habit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trying to break a habit
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight I've decided to break the habit of Hayden waking around 10:30/11:00. Almost every night he will fall asleep between 7:30-8:00 then wakes around 10:30 p.m. We've just gotten up with him everytime, either bounce him around until he fell asleep or gave him a bottle.

Well I'm tired of it. I have a co-worker who had a son that did that for 18 months. I refuse to wait that long to break the habit. She broke her son of it last week. The first night it took 2 hours of his crying before he went to sleep on his own. The next night 1 hour, the following night 1/2 hour and now he doesn't wake at all. The 2nd night he called for his mom like 3 times the 4th time he calles for his daddy with a question in his voice like are you going to come get me? [Big Grin]

It is hard to hear him crying and all I want to do is go comfort him to put him to sleep, but I know that will only put us back to where we currently are.

We are going on a full hour. In the mean time I've folded some laundry, start up some more and now posting on the website.

Please pray that this will end soon.... [Wink] [Frown]

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lynn(Papendorf) had the same problem,it ended up with the same need to let Garrett cry. They will learn to fall asleep on their own,it's just going to take some time being he already trained you to come and get me. [Wink]

I have to say i didn't have much of a problem with my 3 kids sleeping on their own. I would always give the bottle in the rocking (recliner)chair and put them right down. But i think my kids had that sleeping mode in them.

Ryan was the worst with getting up for feeding and he actually would drink alot. But he also would go to bed by 7pm and there was nothing going to keep him awake-noise,bouncing him around etc,he just kept on sleeping. By 12am he was ready for his first feeding,then 2,4 and 6. That went on til he was 6 months,then it went to 12,3 and 6. I worked the 3-11 shift where i would feed him when i got home,hoping he would get threw the night til early morning. I was 28 yrs old with our first and it was not easy.

How do these kids that are having babies do it? I just hope they get all the help they can get from the dad,family and friends.

Hang in there,this will pass too. [Smile]

[ October 10, 2003, 07:50 AM: Message fixed by: Shannon ]

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it was hard hearing him cry, but he finally fell asleep around 12:15. He was laying sideways in his crib so around 12:30 I went in and turned him around it didn't even phase him. He kept on sleeping. [Cool]

It is just a habit, because he hardly even drinks anything most times. I know it will take a few more nights, but it will be worth it when we can sleep all night long. [Whatchutalkingabout Smile]

Hayden is that same way where he just can't stay awake past 7:30. He use to take a 1/2 hour nap between 5:30-6:30 and we've started doing things with him to get him past that as well. Sometimes he just needs that nap to hold him until bed time otherwise he can be a little bear.

We weren't going to go 2 years with this habit. Stacy & I heard on the radio about breaking habits last week. I kept thinking about it and finally just made the decision last night...enough is enough!!!

Maybe by the end of the weekend we can get him sleeping through the night.

--------------------
Sheryl

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Hayden has been getting better and better everyday at going to sleep on his own. [Thumbs Up] We will put him in his crib before he falls completely asleep and at times when it is about his bedtime. It takes him about 15 mins to settle down before he'll fall to sleep, but then sleeps for about 7 to 8 hours. Last night though he slept from 7:30 until 5 a.m. [Cool] [Thumbs Up]

Now I have to train myself to stay in bed when he starts getting resetless. Sunday evening being that my mind was programed to go to him when he cries I did it in my sleep not realizing then asking myself what am I doing. [Light Bulb]

[ October 14, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message fixed by: Sheryl ]

--------------------
Sheryl

Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Thumbs Up] Hayden and parents! That had to be pretty funny after you did it. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] It made me laugh! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Well last night wasn't a good one. Eric put him to bed about 8 p.m. but woke again at 10 then cried until 11. Then he woke again around 2:30 and after about 10 mins I got up with him then thought I had him back to sleep at 3 a.m. Surprise, surpise...he cried for almost another hour.... [Frown] [Cry Smiley] [Thumbs Down]

I guess we can only keep trying.. [Whatchutalkingabout Smile]

--------------------
Sheryl

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Well Wednesday night/Thursday a.m. was much better. He did wake at 11:30 and cried off/on until 12:30. Now last night Thursday evening/Friday a.m. he slept all the way through the evening!!! [Thumbs Up]

--------------------
Sheryl

Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Thumbs Up] Good job! Persitance always works! I remember those times! [Confused] It never was fun but once you get through it, it is worth the struggle.
Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Yes, we are noticing that he is getting better everyday. This Thursday will be 2 weeks since we've started trying to break the habit. We are hoping that by then he will have broken the habit all together. I'm aware that when they are sick though we will have some sleepless nights, but that is more bearable than every night.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions.

--------------------
Sheryl

Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.... Lets just hope he doesn't get Sheryls' cold [Frown]

Last nigth I put him down at 7:37pm, he fussed for about 20 minutes and then went out until 5:30am.

The last 10 minutes of the 20 above were just a low moan LOL

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1139 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: