Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » Tax Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tax Time
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had our taxes done tonight and what a difference from last year. Last year we had to pay in just about as much as we are getting back. What a nice feeling that is.

Hope all have the same experience this year as we have.

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my taxes done also last week and was a little discouraged with mine. My cleaning job is classified as self employed and have to pay in 36% of it all to taxes. So when I left there I was about to quit them all and just be lazy but all of my ladies would be very hurt and without anyone to clean for them. So I have figured out a way to keep most of it for myself but for when I retire which is when I am going to need them. I will get another IRA plan and put all that I would have to pay to taxes into it. Any way I think that is the best way I can get around it and still help all of these ladies out for a little longer. I am going to have to quit some day of course.

In case some one else has a better solution let me know. And be legal.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Gram, self employed people have to pay taxes too.They take about 28% from my check every week so your 36% is about right.Remeber when you work for some one else they pay 1/2 of your SS when your self employed YOU pay both halfs.

Jeff

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that is the draw back of being self employeed you have to pay more than you normally would if you weren't. I wish that you could find a place to work so that you wouldn't have to worry about that stuff, but then you might not have the pleasure of doing what you want. Got to out weigh the pros and cons of it all then go with what you think is important to you.

The only legal way is to invest more of your money into a retirement plan as you already are doing. Talk with your tax person and see what advise they can give you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We feel for you.

[ March 04, 2002: Message fixed by: Sheryl ]

--------------------
Sheryl

Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder I have trouble making it these days. I am only in the 15% bracket, so that doesn't say much how much I make a year. Oh well I have managed okay over the years I guess. I don't have a lot of things I would like but thats okay.

I think the only thing I am going to regret in my life time, is that I never was able to afford a nice house. But I guess a roof over my head that keeps me warm is all I really need.

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

You have a very nice place, mom! It is just the neighbors that you have that makes it an unsafe place to live. There is nothing wrong with your trailor house. Were you thinking of buying a mansion someday for us to inherit?

Home is where the heart is!

--------------------
Sheryl

Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that! Home is where your heart is! A home is where you make it, also.
Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got back a nice tax return! Half of it already spent on computer!!

I know just what Von is saying!!! It will be 18 yrs in a moble home for us and 11 of it is with 3 kids. There are days where i would just love a basement! So until you've lived in a moble home as long as we have,you would understand why we would what a home of our own. Some day!!

How nice it would be to add on and have the space that you'll have,just for stamping! Glad for you but wishing it was me!!

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharon
Forum Regular
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharon   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least you all have had a home of your own. Thats more than I've had and I've worked many years and still don't have one. I really don't want one either. Its just more money spent out that I can enjoy. As long as I have a room and bathroom thats all I need now. And when my children were around we were very fortunate to always have a big enough home.

At least now when I will need to go into an assistant living home I won't have a home or a bunch of belongings for my children to get rid of.

And as Sheryl and Sheleen have said. Home is where the heart is and as long as I have my own belongings that I need now it is home. And I try to keep only that which I need so it doesn't get so crowded and hard to keep neat and comfortable for me to live with.

Just be happy for what you have and you'll find life just fine.

--------------------
Sharon Kay

Posts: 211 | From: Rochester, MN 55902  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one could never understand why people said that buying a house was cheaper than renting.

Well I have found the difference. We pay slightly more for our 2000 square foot house than we did for our 1000 square foot apartment. We have a nice backyard, a 2 car garage and plenty of things for me to putz with

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

I'm going to love my new room. I've waited a long time and my husband is good enough that he lets me spread my wings. We had plenty of ideas of what we wanted to do downstairs, but together we decided that we wanted it to be the craft room. Either because he wanted to puts around or that he really wanted me to have this kind of space to do my little crafting/scrapbooking. It could be that now the den will be his little area....

I really wanted it because now I have a place that all of you can come and we can spend our time together doing our little crafts.

--------------------
Sheryl

Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could I hire you, Eric? I would like that done for me in the utility room!
Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: