Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » Computer advice needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer advice needed
Connie Korger
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Korger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am going to graduate from my web-tv to a real computer. I have a lap top at work and access to a big system but you have to limit personal time. What do you experienced folks have to recommend for a brand to research. I know the main name brands but don't know if there are specific questions I should ask. At this point I am looking for basic computer operations - internet, e-mail, on-line banking, printing, may also get a photo shop type program. I welcome your experiences good and bad.
Posts: 194 | From: Green Bay, WI,USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am not one to look for advice from, Eric has been my brains on computers. I even trusted him on our first computer when he was 14. But he knew so much long before we got our first one.

I still laugh at the limited Web pages back than. We had to pay long distance every time he went onto the computer and used the internet I believe.. I believe the closest place was St Cloud to get internet.

Life with computers sure has changed. [Big Grin] I don't think I could live without one myself now. I do a lot of work stuff on mine at home, my tupperware is on it (looking up stuff, message board from headquarters and order page) and of course a few games. I had taugh myself how to do things with new programs. [Cry Smiley]

Eric will have to be one person I would look at for an answer but there are other people out there that read this that maybe have advice also. [Smile]

He would get really excited about seeing a Web page advertised on TV. He would try to explain it to me and of course it meant nothing to me. I had no idea what he was talking about.

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pappy
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pappy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Buy has a Emachines XP processor 2000+ with color printer 17" monitor. after rebates $799. It has integrated graphics but if your only using it for internet it should be fine. If your going to use it for gaming stay away from integrated grahics and sound. I personaly have an Emachines 550 monster ,had it for 3 years is a great PC .My second PC has a AMD Athlon 1.8 ghz also runs great. Diff between Pentium 4 and AMD Athton about 400- 500 dollars. So if money is no object I`d buy a Pentium 4 , they run cooler if you leave them on all day will last longer then a Athlon AMD.

Oh incase you want to know who I am, I`m Shannons husband

[ July 29, 2002, 05:04 PM: Message fixed by: Pappy ]

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 12 | From: Wausau ,Wi  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Korger
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Korger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just missed out on a good deal. Tania's company was changing laptops at the end of the lease period. The old ones were for sale for a reasonable price like $500 or so. I just learned about it this weekend from Tania. She inquired about it this week. The offer expired last week and they sent them back. Darn.
Posts: 194 | From: Green Bay, WI,USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eMachines don't seem to be too bad. Make sure you stay away from HP (Hewlett Packard) and Compaq. Avoid them at all costs.

That deal at Kelly's work would have been great for you.

When shopping also becareful of the prices. Some of the prices are if you also sign up for MSN or other services that they give you $200 + towards the computer. So just beware

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1139 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Stacy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So why do you say not to buy Hewlett Packard? We just bought one yesterday! [Embarrassed] [Frown] [Confused]
Posts: 417 | From: Mpls  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that you can't upgrade as easily as other computers...if that is something you plan to do someday down the road. That's all. [Cool]

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HP and Compaq just merged.... I personally wouldn't buy either one of them... Since I work with computers all the time I like to upgrade and tweak them. Compaq and HP computers are just harder to do... They are usually limited to what you can upgrade on them. But you can get them for a great price at Best Buy and CompuUSA though.

If you don't know much about the insides of the computers they are a good bet and deal.... just not my cup of tea.

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1139 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like my Athlon can`t complain yet.
Seems to really fast in the gaming world thats all I care about. and of course this great web page.

By the way this is Jeff and not Shannon

[ August 03, 2002, 08:59 PM: Message fixed by: Shannon ]

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

I agree, a couple of months ago I was going to upgrade my Motherboard and Processor to an Athlon. They are basically the same now a days...but the Athlon is cheaper!!

Can't complain there,

--------------------
~ Eric

Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stacy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So an HP should be okay if I'm just using it for emails and internet? [Confused] [Embarrassed]
Posts: 417 | From: Mpls  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Korger
Member # 9

I don't know much about brands that aren't in the Best Buy ads etc. What is the word on Milwaukee? Advice about Dell?
Connie Korger
Member # 9

Eric, what is the prblem if the package comes with a ebate from MSN or another provider?
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

You just need to make sure you know what you are getting.

For example many computers might have a $200 rebate .... But that is if you sign up for MSN or another service for 2 years at $21+ a month.

You need to determine if that is what you would like or if Broadband is available in your area for $49 or less a month. You need to determine what you want for a connection speed. The $21+ is for 56k what you have currently with webtv.

But if you are looking at a new computer system you might want to look at Broadband so you are able to send files and pictures much quicker.

For some people getting tied to a 2 year contract for a web service might be for them. I just don't like to be tied down for 2 years like that. If I'm having trouble with the service I want to be able to switch...and not have to pay back the $200 + a penalty fee for canceling early.

Please just make sure that you read the fine print!

--------------------
~ Eric

Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacy...the answer to your question would be a yes. [Wink]

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: