Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » Broken wing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broken wing
Connie Korger
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Korger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broke my arm.
On Wed eve, Mike and I decided to put chicken in the oven and go for a short walk to pick up some lottery tickets. 3 blocks from home, I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and crashed. I sat on the sidewalk with a stranger that stopped to help, Mike walked back to my house and got the car to take me to the E.R.

The humerus is the bone in the upper arm. You may recall seeing in pictures, that it has a knobby round end. I broke part of that knob off, (up and down). I have an immobilizer on which keeps my arm next to my body. I am going to the beauty shop today because I haven't figured out how to do my hair. I will be able wash it whenever i can get in the shower but I don't know how I'm going to do the curling iron. I don't know how long until I have more movement. New challenges every day.
I have 9 guests coming for a cookout tomorrow. I called everyone and they are bringing most of the food and doing the work. This could have some benefits
after all. I am left-handed and broke the left. I mastered wiping my butt with my right hand the first evening. Thank goodness for that. Next, I need to learn to put a bra on. Been wearing this one round the clock. Kelly's friend said I should go without for the 6 weeks. Easy for a thin, 28 year old to say. I'll keep you posted on how long thiswill go on and what new prolems arise.

[ July 13, 2003, 01:39 AM: Message fixed by: Connie Korger ]

Posts: 194 | From: Green Bay, WI,USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch my mom told me about you last night... I hope it didn't hurt and that you heal up fast

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1138 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Korger
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Korger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pain is decreasing. Has been very painful. Wrist is bothering me the most at this point. It didn't hurt at the time of the fall. Arm hurts the most when I have to bend over. I'm getting pretty good at picking thigs up with my feet to flip them on to a chair. can't put the immobilizer on myself, bummer.
Posts: 194 | From: Green Bay, WI,USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your fall. I thought for sure when she started telling me about an uneven sidewalk, she was going to say she fell and hurt her knees.

Connie can tolerate a lot of pain but you could hear the pain in her voice when I talked to her on the phone the 1st night. [Eek!]

I understand her girls are going to be at her house this week to take care of her. Kelly the beginning of the week and Tania towards the end of this week.

Well take care and get better. (What a way to end the summer)

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard about your little accident and feel bad the pain you must have been and still are having from it. [Embarrassed] I can't imagine not having the function of any limb. [Eek!]

I'm hoping that it has helped to have your girls around to help.

Get better soon!!

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
korgecl
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for korgecl           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday afternoon. I came back to work yesterday. With a little difficulty I can use the keyboard. My arm tires easily. I still have the immobilizer on. I don't know if I described it. There is a 6 inch stretchy band around my middle. A band around my upper arm attaches to the top of the waist band and keeps my arm against my side. a band around my wrist keeps my arm in a position like it was in a sling.

Pain much improved. I take 3-4 tylenol a day.

One thing I cannot do is put my own bra on.
I put on knee highs today. Try that with one hand. Mostly I am inconvenienced. Back to work.

Posts: 53 | From: Green Bay office  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: