Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » Christmas at Grandma Winters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christmas at Grandma Winters
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a good time this past weekend at my mothers house in Eau Claire Wis. [Big Grin] And of course GOOD food. [Razz] A lot of time was spent in the kitchen preparing food and doing the clean up. Next year I think we should just have spagetti and garlic toast and salads for our main meal. Less time standing in the kitchen trying to get things all done at the same time. and less oven worries trying to get everything done.

Thanks Connie for everything you did. I know you did more than your share of cooking and cleaning up.

We had I believe 19 people there for Sat & Sunday. We keep growing with new husbands or boyfriends and now this year we had 2 new babies. Next year we will have 1 more baby. [Big Grin] I must say the 2 babies we had were very very good. Hayden 8 months old and Reese 1 month old. [Surprised Smiley]

One of the highlights in my weekend was the present that my 2 kids and their families gave me. It was a new printer! [Smile] Okay now you are saying so big deal a printer. [Wink] Well this printer is what they call a Home Digital Photo Studio. Besides being a regular printer and photo printer it also comes with a digital camera and all the soft ware to download my pictures from the camera as well as print them. (All printers will print photos but this one is special) Now with my christmas money I am going to get a new computer. I will be really setting good with my new toy. [Razz]

Thanks to everyone that made our weekend a fun and full weekend.

[ December 22, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message fixed by: Vonnie ]

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second all of this!!!

It was good food, but I felt there was too much time preparing food rather than enjoying each other. It is nice to have those different things to eat, but not when our group gets so big. For some of us parents with little ones it is a little more difficult to pitch in when your child needs your attention be it feeding, entertaining or keep from getting into things. I know there is others to watch them as well, but you feel you are responsible for them and don't want to depend on others to do all that.

I say we either order in, go out or have everything prepared ahead of time...slower cooker stuff. I like the spagehtti idea!! Can we do that for this weekend?

I, also, say that we should start doing the holidays at a bigger house...ours or Kelly's so that we don't have to be running back and forth from the apartment to the party room. It has served the purpose, but it is getting to be a lot of work going back and forth.

Lets throw around some ideas between now and then.

[ December 22, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message fixed by: Sheryl ]

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vonnie
Grand Member
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vonnie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am seriously thinking about having something really simple. We wouldn't go hungry, we just wouldn't have a tradional holiday dinner. [Cry Smiley] [Big Grin]

Thank You Sheryl for doing most of the work at the baby shower. I tried to have the tables ready, napkins, plates etc out before you got there but you did eveything with the games etc. After you got there, I went back to moms to help with the breadfast.

Mom mentioned to me that this may be the last year she is paying for the motel rooms. With it being 8 rooms this year it does get sorta spendy.

I was thinking we should maybe try and have a get together in the summer time (& we can even exchange presents than). That way we could even go to Green Bay & Milwaukee. We expect Connie & Tania to drive this far but we never think about going to their houses. In the summer time we wouldn't have to worry about the weather so we could go with no worries.

How does this sound to everyone?

[ December 22, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message fixed by: Vonnie ]

--------------------
Vonnie S. Toop

Posts: 1399 | From: Eau Claire, WI USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana rae
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana rae           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas in July, RIGHT ON!

But geeze that means you guys will have to start planning now(knowing how you guys start in july usually for now) hehe

--------------------
~!*Dana Rae*!~

Posts: 91 | From: willmar  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Korger
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Korger           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been busy here since the weekend and have not been reading all of the notes. The fact that none of us live in Eau Claire makes the big family gathering a challenge whenever it would occur. FAmilies who live closer together have the option of doing a holiday meal at someone's home but it doesn't mean preparing several meals over several days.

I did a lot of the cooking because I like doing it. I thought the clean up of dishes went the slickest it has in many years. The trek down the hall gets to be a little much but it beats having everyone crowded in a small space.

We don't know how many more years my mother will be able to even consider having the holiday at her place. I think we need to plan around her for as long as it is an option.

I think doing a summer gathering would be fun but I don't want to make it instead of a holiday deal. As these two families grow, there may be a time when we won't do Christmas together but I don't want to rush it.

I can easily give in to an easier menu. Many families have stuff like Swedish meatballs. The meatballs can be made ahead and just the sauce at the last minute. I love casseroles of all different kinds. Several people could make casseroles for the oven or the crockpot and cut down on things that have to be done last minute. The cheese sauce with either cauliflower or broccoli may have to go. Especially when cauliflower was $2.49 or 2.98 a head this year.

Having the new little kids around will change the picture every year.Lots of fun, new experiences. I would like to have had more time to sit and talk but I just kept seeing things to do. It was a great weekend.

Posts: 194 | From: Green Bay, WI,USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: