Toop.org Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Toop.org » What's Happening? » What's on your mind? » New addition to the family........ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New addition to the family........
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well last night Eric and I bought a little puppy. He is a Cockapoo & toy poodle mix we haven't completely decided yet on his name. Colby....after the cool survivor guy on Survivor. Rusty....because he is a sandy color with red tips to his hair. Decisions!

Had no intentions of buying a dog yesterday and this is how we came upon this puppy. When I went to heat up my lunch at work yesterday I walked passed a crowd of people. I couldn't understand why everyone was standing around....then I stood looking at what was going on and then I saw the puppies walking around, being held by several people and of course puppies are like a baby everyone flocks to them.

So I called Eric and told him about it. He wasn't thrilled about it and I couldn't understand his reason....so we went out to see him and he understood what I was talking about....or I think he did. This will be his first dog so he is a little nervous about it. When we went looking for a small dog kennel and dog accessories I asked if he was going to be this bad when we decide to have children!? I know that he is going to love it! :cool

We pick Colby up tomorrow afternoon. Nice Anniversary gift....lol

Can't you just see Eric, Maria & Colby playing in the back yard!? I can!

[ May 05, 2001: Message fixed by: Eric ]

--------------------
Sheryl

Posts: 3134 | From: Ramsey, MN  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be great for Maria and they'll be best friends. I can see Eric, Maria and Colby out in the back yard. Have Fun Playing! Pets are a great addition to the family.

The other day Jordan wasn't very happy and so went out to play with Autumn. He came back in with a much better attitude and he even mentioned how Autumn made him feel much better.

Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are getting a PUPPY today! We are, we are, we going to go get him today. Can't believe we are doing this it has been such a long time since I've had a dog I don't remember what to expect. It is going to be so much fun.

--------------------
Sheryl

Eric
Webmaster
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are off to get Colby!!!

I am excited and apprehensive at the same time. I never had a pet to call mine growing up. So this will be new for both Maria and I.

Well Sheryl is heading out the door so I had better go.......

--------------------
~ Eric

Posts: 1139 | From: Ramsey, Minnesota  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Maria & Colby finally met and it was very cute. Got most of it on video camera, but I had it on pause and not record. At first Maria didn't know what to do and Colby wasn't to sure, but they are laying on the couch together and Maria is petting him so nicely that he is sleeping. It will be a learning process for the both of them, but going to be good pals.

--------------------
Sheryl

Stacy
Forum Regular
Member # 27

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stacy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go! They're alot of work when they are little but you'll enjoy him when he gets older and Maria will enjoy having a playmate and you'll find you will have more time to do things without Maria under your legs because she'll be outside with Colby playing. He'll be a good playmate.

You need a dog kennel? We have one sitting in our backyard that's not being used!! with a dog house! If you want it, you can come get it!!

Get the newspaper out, get an alarm clock so he doesn't miss his mom, take him out for a walk at 4:00 am, ect, ect Shery & Eric just became dog owners (to the tune of "Get out the diapers, get out the pins, Sheryl & Eric just had twins!ha)LOL

I never had the patience to train a dog so I'm glad Lizzy came already trained. Can't always get so lucky I guess! Just hope nothing happens to her until the kids are out of the house cause I don't think I would want to train a dog. Have alot of fun! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Posts: 417 | From: Mpls  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Well he did great the first night. He whined for about 5 mins at meal time and night time, before he gave up on us then laid down.

He did both jobs this a.m. when Eric took him out, but must not have been enough so he had a little accident thank goodness he was downstairs on the wood floor. The good thing is that he is so small and won't get to big that his dodo is very small.

Thanks for the offer Stacy on the kennel, but he is soooooo small and won't get much bigger that he would get lost in that kennel. We bought him a small 2' by 3' one for indoors.

He is going to be the best dog.....

--------------------
Sheryl

Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrat on your new addition!! who babysits during the day while everyone is gone?
I heard that if you lay newspaper down for him to do his accidents that's where he'll learn to go if he can't hold it. Or is he in the garage?
It's raining here again!! Nothing but grey days lately,just too many!!

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He baby-sits himself.

We bought a kennel for indoors and lined it with newspaper for him. He is doing very good! And he is a little chewer,if we didn't have him in it I'm sure something would have been torn apart.

--------------------
Sheryl

Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheleen           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colby sounds like a nice little puppy that is the kind I wish we had. Autumn is nice but so big and hard to handle.

I am so excited for Maira now she has a little playmate.

Posts: 1020 | From: Spicer, MN 56288  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 14

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tammy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on the newest addition to your family! We, including Doodles, can't wait to meet Colby! You will all have so much fun with him.

I'll share some good suggestions with you, you may already know these (hopefully you won't mind). They were very helpful when Doodles was a pup.

While they are cutting their teeth as a pup they love to chew everything they can (which you already know). If you have some washcloths that you don't mind if they get chewed, this was a major help. Take the washcloth & soak it under water, ring it out. Roll it & shape it any way you like: horseshoe, L shape, S shape, knot, whatever. Put it in the freezer. When it's frozen, give it to Colby to chew on. After he's done (depending in what room he chewed it) you may want to wash it & then repeat or if it was on a clean linoleum floor just rinse it good & re-soak & re-freeze it. It helps to have 2 or 3 that way as he's chewing on one, you have a back up for when it's thawed.

Another idea for chewing: give him ice cubes to chew on (if he's got a tiny mouth) break into smaller pieces for him. If he's not into plain ice cubes, mix chicken or beef buillion with water & put in ice cube trays to freeze. Have him chew these on linoleum or outside, so as not to get on your carpet.

Any type of rawhide chews are great for them to chew - keeps them busy & out of trouble & also helps build strong teeth & reduce tartar & plaque build up.

It's so funny when they finally lose their baby teeth, you find them in the carpet & everywhere.

Two other suggestions that I think were really helpful are:

1) Get him used to riding in the car as a pup - helps reduce motion sickness for them & also they associate a car ride as fun for future vet trips, etc.

2) Get him used to being in water as a pup - helps him to see it's fun & enjoyable - so he will like taking baths & also swimming.

3) To prevent boredom in the kennel during the long days, it helps to give him a rawhide bone & also a toy of some sort (a sturdy one so he won't chew it to pieces while he's unattended).

Let us know the funny things he's doing or what him & Maria are doing. We hope to see a pic of him on your site soon!

Posts: 108 | From: Blaine, MN, USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 14

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tammy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you chosen a vet yet? Ours is really good if you're interested. He probably hasn't had all 3 series of his puppy shots yet if he's real young?

Is his fur the type you'll need groomed once he's older & it grows out? Or does he shed?

When is Colby's Birthday?

How has his first week at home been?

Posts: 108 | From: Blaine, MN, USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl
Super Poster
Member # 3

We are going to go to the Coon Rapids Vet. Our neighbors referred us to theirs...they like him a lot and thought we would like him, also. He has only had his 1st shots and due for his second set.

It will need to be groomed, but Eric,I & Maria are pretty handy with a brush, comb and baths.

His birthday month is March. We haven't found out yet what the actual day is. We will let everyone know once we find out.

His first week has been great. He sleeps through the night and got up once at 4:30. He has had a few accidents, but that is expected. Maria and him, after the first day, have been like buds. It has been fun to see them play together. Maria doesn't understand yet that puppy doesn't mean half the things he does. She has to have more patients with him.....doesn't do the stuff she wants him to do...LOL

--------------------
Sheryl

Shannon
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it going with Colby? Is the excitment
woren off already. what's with the cite to watch colby? We get some kind of advisement?
He's such a cutie!! Have you spoiled him by letting him sleep with yous. Remember Terry?
He loved to sleep with us and it was always
way down under the blankets. He was an ugly dog but then he was cute in other ways. How was it that we got him? Does anyone remember where we got him. Then we had a Black Cocker Spainal dog. What ever happen to those dogs?
I guess I'm just thinking back to childhood.

[ June 01, 2001: Message fixed by: we5andjj ]

--------------------
Shannon

Posts: 533 | From: Wausau Wi USA  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheleen
Grand Member
Member # 20

We got Terry from Vernon Young and gave him back to them when we got that black dog. Terry got stepped on by a horse and that was the end of him. I don't quite remember how we got rid of Sparky but I do remember Mom not liking it when he would put his big paws on the patio door window. We then got Freddie from Jim & Jean and when Mom moved to Minnesota in 1987 we gave him to Jim Ninneman and then he got old and they had him but to sleep. When we would go see him at their place Freddie was excited to see us.

OH! the memories those dogs bring back. Pets are great to have. I can just see Maria with Colby and am so glad she has a great playmate.

This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Faces

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To: